Earl Derr Biggers

 Another Golden Age mystery author, Ear Derr Biggers, is best known for his Chinese detective, Charlie Chan.  I don't have any of those books, but I do have The Agony Column, published in 1916, which I found mildly interesting.  

A young American visiting London on the eve of World War I amuses himself reading the posts in a newspaper Personals section, known as the Agony Column.  He falls in love with a young American woman and tries to attract her by writing a series of letters to her give details of a murder that has occurred in his apartment building.  As the plot develops, it becomes clear that war is imminent and that they will need to leave England immediately

Grade:  B

I was unable to finish the second story in this book, Fifty Candles, because the book was crumbling in my hands.  The glue had failed, the spine was coming loose and pages were falling out; I'll have to do some repair work before I can resume this one, although it wasn't really interesting enough for me to feel much desire to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agatha Christie--The Seven Deadly Sins

 I had never heard of this before, but recently ran across a reference to the theme of the Seven Deadly Sins in some of Agatha Christie'...